Travel advice after Brexit

Teletext Holidays Blog

Inspiration for your Luxury Getaway New
Travel advice after Brexit

Update : Please check here for the very latest up to date information. 

Our 2021 holidays may be looking a bit different now we have left the EU. So before you jet off on your European holiday this summer make sure you run through the things you need to remember below to ensure you are fully prepared. 

However, there are some things we do know for sure that will change and we need to remember before we leave the house, pack the car, and drive off to the airport. The last thing you need after this horrendous year is to be all ready for your jolly holiday in 2021 and be turned away at the airport for your expiring passport!

So today we’re going to run through the things you need to remember, before going on holiday after Britain officially leaves the EU.


Ensure you have at least 6 months left on your passport

On the day you depart for Spain, Italy, Greece, anywhere in the EU, you need to ensure your passport is less than 10 years old and has at least 6 months remaining on it, or you wont be allowed to travel. Crack open the safe today and check your passport! And your partner’s passport. And your kiddies passports. I’m afraid tears or tantrums at passport control will get you nowhere when we officially leave the EU.

If the rules are a bit confusing then you can plug the digits of your passport into the official government passport checker to be triply sure that you’ll be allowed to embark the plane. Click here.

You don’t need a Visa… unless…

As long as you are not in the EU for more than 90 days of any rolling 180 days, then you don’t need to apply for a visa. So, if you go on holiday to Tenerife in February, even for a month, and then go in June to Marbella for another month, you’d only have used 60 out of the 180 day rolling allowance. For most holidaymakers, 90 days allowance in 180 days should give enough time to work on that tan. If you’re a snowbird who wants to spend 4months + in the EU then you’d need a visa.


Queuing at the Airport

Us Brits are no longer allowed to use the fast-track EU passport control lines. Instead, we’ll have to queue up with the Americans, Japanese and all the non-EU tourists (who often have shorter lines anyway…)

You may also be asked to show your return ticket, to prove you will not be in the EU for more than 90 days.

Hiring a car

Country dependent, you may need to take an international driving permit as well as your UK issued driving licence before hiring a car in the EU from 2021. These forms can be obtained at the post office, you’ll also need a passport style photo and £5.50 for the pleasure of applying. Do this ahead of time to ensure you get your documents in order!


Travel Insurance

With Covid-19 not covered by the majority of travel insurance policies for 2021 you will need individual Covid cover if you want to be covered for Coronavirus while abroad. However, that’s not the only change. Your European health cards will also be invalid from Jan 1 so it is now more vital than ever to ensure you have independent and full travel insurance before you go abroad.

Mobile Phone Charges

Depending on your network, you may no longer enjoy free 4G roaming and posting all those hotdog legs on Insta may come with a horrible charge when you get home. Before you travel check if your mobile phone network will continue to offer free roaming while abroad in your destination country.


Travelling with Pets

The EU pet passport rules will not continue so you’ll now need an animal health certificate to take Bella to Benidorm. Please see the government website for advice on travelling to the EU with pets after December 31st 2020.

Duty Free

Let’s face it, a lot of duty free discounts have been eroded anyway on many items over the last 20 years but with Britain’s exit from the EU we will actually get a better deal on Duty Free shopping so those bottles of wine and packets of cigarettes from EU countries will actually be duty free once again. Every cloud eh?

Reimagine travel with us
You can find more information in our privacy policy

Payment options


We want all our customers to stay safe when abroad. For the latest travel advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office click here. Further advice can be found on the Travel Aware page here. Please note the advice can change so check regularly for updates and before you travel. acts as an agent in respect of all bookings made by telephone. For all bookings, your contract will be with the applicable Service Provider of your chosen Travel Service (who may be the principal or the agent of the principal) and Teletext acts only as an agent on their behalf. Your holiday will be financially protected by the ATOL scheme and you will receive an ATOL certificate once your booking has been confirmed. Please see our booking conditions for information, or for more information about financial protection and the ATOL Certificate go

Teletext Travel Ltd, company number 14855829. Address: 71-75 Shelton Street, Covent Garden, London, United Kingdom, WC2H 9JQ.

Copyright 2024 | All rights reserved.